Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer #BlogChallenge #9 My worst cooking disaster

Going Green with the Grizls

My worst cooking disaster...this is an easy one LOL.

My older 2 kids are both very active in sports.  In the fall, my son plays football, and my daughter does cheerleading.  We have a huge program out here called JAAF (Junior All American Football).  In August it is 5 day a week practices Mon-Fri from 5-8.  Then in September it goes to 3 day a week practices Tues-Thurs and games on Saturdays.  Needless to say, we do a LOT of slow cooker meals during football season.

One day, I decided I was going to make vegetable beef soup.  I even went out and bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies for it.  I have a cook book that my mom made for me that is full of mine and my brother's favorite recipes of hers.  The vegetable beef soup is one of them.  I had never made it before (and to be honest, I haven't tried it since, either!!)   I go through all the steps, do everything the recipe says, and off to practice we went!

We come home, and the house smelled amazing.  I head into the kitchen as the kids all headed to their showers.  I go to check on the soup and I grab a spoon.  I sampled the broth, which was amazing, great flavor.  Then, I tried the meat...and that my friends was NASTY!  Words can't describe how awful it tasted.  I yelled to my husband that  thought maybe we should get fast food for dinner instead.  Being the loving, supportive husband that he is, he insists that it can't be nearly as bad as I claim, and insists on having a bowl of the soup (I also believe part of it, was him not wanting to spend any money! LOL).  I serve him up a bowl....he takes a bite, and agreed with me, maybe we should get fast food for dinner.  At that point in time I knew it was bad....it is the ONLY thing I have ever cooked that he didn't want to eat. There have been other things that I didn't like, or where I thought it was off, but he insisted it was good and still ate it.  Not this time.

So there you have it, I fail at vegetable beef soup *hangs my head*, of all things, you'd think that would be an easy one, but something was just not right, and I haven't tried to make it again.  Do you have any horrible cooking experiences?

1 comment:

  1. Mine is a bad soup story too! Glad that we can all giggle over our fiascos.

    ReplyDelete