Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two Tutu's To Do

As we all know, Halloween is fast approaching.  It is my FAVORITE holiday!  Kids costumes have been ordered, and received!  This year we will have Thor (Austin), Draculaura from Monster High (Jaidan), Kermit the Frog (Riley...he wanted to be a frog, and that was the frog costume he picked out), and a LadyBug (Aislinn).

Last year, before I made Aislinn's 1st birthday tutu I made a practice tutu.  It was done in black and red, which I thought would be perfect for a lady bug costume.  Unfortunately, after the move, I do not know where this tutu is.  The packers have marked the boxes all crazy and we can't really go by what any of the boxes say.  So, because of this I ordered Aislinn a lady bug outfit.  The way the dress lays, a tutu could totally fit under it and add a bit of flare to it.  So, I have decided to make her another red and black tutu for Halloween.

Now, Jaidan's Draculara costume came with a vest, a skirt and some leggings.  The skirt is too big on her (since she is a skinny little tooth pick lol).  It's so big that safety pins wouldn't do the trick, it would need to be tacked on the sides, and as we all know, I do NOT sew lol.  Not to mention, I don't really like the way it lays, since it's made out of that stupid fabric they like to make costumes out of that wrinkles really easily and is hard to make look good.  Jaidan has some black cloth cheer I asked her what she thought about wearing the shorts with a black and hot pink tutu over them for a skirt instead.  She of course loved the idea, so we have ditched the crappy white skirt and I will be making her a black and hot pink tutu for her costume.

I went to Hobby Lobby last night to pick up the tulle and elastic.  I was looking for the elastic and when I couldn't find it I asked an associate.  She showed me the 'crotched' you see for baby head bands.  I've seen people use them to make tutu's before....silly me, I thought they were just using head bands HAHA.  I grabbed 2 rolls, 1 was black and hot pink mixed together and the other was red and black mixed together.  They were 50% off, so I got 2 for the price of 1.  I will have to play with it some to figure out how I am going to do this, since I am use to just tying it around plain elastic and scrunching it all together so I can add more to make it look fuller.

Lots of work to do!  I will post pics of the finished products after they are made 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment