Friday, February 18, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

This is a great slow cooker recipe I got from my mom. My mom is so awesome...I requested several of my favorite recipes she made when I was growing up, so she made me a cookbook of her recipes. She made one for my brother too and my friends Kris and Terri.

Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients
  • 1-2lbs smoked sausage (I use hot links for extra kick)
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 c. chopped green peppers (optional)
  • 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cans (15 oz) red kidney beans (I use 1 light and 1 dark for presentation)
  • 1-2 (15oz) cans tomato sauce
  • 2-3 Tbsp chili powder
  • 2-3 Tbsp cajun seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Slice sausage and place in slow cooker together with onion, garlic and green pepper (optional). Cook until meat starts to brown. Drain grease from pot. Return slow cooker to base. Add all other ingredients and stir until blended. Cook on medium until done (2-3 hours). Serve over rice.

Notes

Season with chili powder and cajun seasoning to your own personal taste. I personally only use 1 tbsp of each because I use hot links.

Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment