Sunday, March 16, 2014

Gardening Exploits

After my post I'll have a bunch of pictures for you to browse!  We made a lot of progress on the garden the last few weeks.  We bought all the wood and put it together, picked out a place and got it all set up. It took 16 bags of soil to fill that sucker!  We put some of the black cloth across the bottom to stop weeds, and we put chicken wire across the bottom too to hopefully stop moles and gophers.

I also got my half a Jack Daniels Whiskey barrel for my potatoes!  I got those planted too, waiting for them to grow.  I also got a plastic container to grow my carrots in, Aislinn helped me plant some carrot seeds too.  Those are both outside by the garden.

I did a bunch of research on square foot gardening, and then I sat down and planned out my garden using what I planned to plant, and I also looked up companion gardening to make up my list too. It took me a bit to figure out how I wanted to do it all, but I am pretty happy with what I came up with.

I bought some broccoli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce and red sail lettuce to put in the garden.  I was able to plant the Cauliflower and Broccoli today, but didn't get any pictures because it started to rain.  of course because it started to rain I was unable to plant the lettuce's or the onion bulbs that I also bought.  Hopefully I will be able to get all those in tomorrow.  Then in about a week I'll transplant my spinach and kale that I started as seeds a few weeks ago.

 Building the Frame

 Frame is done!
 Weed protector.
 Chicken Wire!
 Starting to fill it with soil.
16 bags later!

 After I put up my grid!
Close up of the grid.

 My potatoes ready to be covered with dirt!
Ready to grow!

 My sweet Aislinn, watering the carrot container.
Aislinn planting carrot seeds!


My garden plan!


I'm excited for the coming weeks.  I have a list that tells me when to plant different things for my area.  April is going to be a huge planting month for me!  I can't wait!  Anyone else starting a garden, or maybe trying out a container garden?  Are you excited to get it all started?


No comments:

Post a Comment